After the latest update by Notioninkhacks.com, I can say adam has become a much better tablet to hold. Even though there is a FC on the Eden UI once in a while, the frequency is much low.
I was able to install many apps and test them. Surprisingly, I didn't find Google maps, Facebook app, Twitter app in market. I had to extract apk from my HTC Desire and then run it on Adam. But I must say after that Adam is a great device.
I tried couple of VOIP apps as well.
1. SIPDroid - Worked fine with configuration but the call could not be diverted to speaker. It only worked with a headphone. The mic seems to be a good one as I was able to hold it normally and was able to speak.
2. Fring - Worked great with SIP configuration. Call output could be diverted to speaker and call quality was great on wifi and 3g.
Few applications extracted from phone only worked in portrait mode (They don't switch to landscape mode). This was mainly seen in config/settings screens in few applications.
Having no widgets is a shame in the eden UI. But I guess the idea is to have a Panels instead of Widgets. May be someone can make a Panel app which can work as a place holder for multiple widgets. That would become a must have on adam the moment it's developed.
Google goggles seem to close after couple of seconds with no use. Need to find from other adam users, if anyone else experienced the same. (This was also not available on market and had to extract from phone, so it could be a problem with the apk as well)
Few other applications that worked fine:
1. ES File manager and ES Task manager 2. Astro File Manager 3. Facebook (Official android app) 4. Google Skymap 5. Google maps v5+ 6. Google Earth 7. Robo Defense 8. Twitter (Official Android app) 9. Yotube App 10. WhatsApp 11. Winamp 12. Wordup 13. Google Latitude 14. GPS Status 15. Free Running 16. Dolphin Browser 17. Benchmark Pi - After Submitting the score was placed 600+ in the rankings. Not a bad score for stock ROM. 18. Air Control Lite (Had problems with audio) 19. Chrome to phone 20. Dolphin Browser 21. Adobe Flash 10.1 22. Parleys Client 23. Wikitude
Apps related to Netherlands:
1. 9292ov pro (For public transport users) 2. Trein Tijden Lite (Much quicker app compared to the official NS app) 3. Appie van Albert Heijn 4. Saldo app from ABNAMRO
If anyone has any app that needs to be tested, you can contact me through comments on this post and I will try to test it on adam.
PS: After the update from NotioninkHacks for the market access, I was getting the following error when I tried to setup Google account. "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" If any of you encounter the problem, it could most likely be solved by using the Youtube app to configure google account and then launching market.
1. The build looks sturdy and strong. No glare (PQ Display) 2. The default memory available is 5.54 GB. (After the first boot) 3. Yet to try any accessories. 4. The power adapter has US style pins. This is a shame for people in EU as here its mostly different. Since the adapter can work 100-240V, I guess we could use a pin converter. 5. Facebook app does not seem to connect. Have to investigate more. (Not updated adam software yet. Just out of the box)
6. I had a pin converter already and it worked great. Now adam is charging. 7. Saw the Force close window few times in different apps. 8. No market or Genesis yet. (I have just started Adam update. It’s ~82mb file. Download in progress) 9. I tried my phone SIM card. 3G worked fine. SMS also works. No phone calls. 10. It comes installed with Nimbuzz. 11. Side loading of the apps possible. I will post more later about it. Still experimenting.
If you have used an android phone before, the settings are no different so getting used to is a smooth walk.
All in all good experience so far. But there is a lag once in a while. I hope the software update will fix that.
Haven’t had sun light after I received it (I am in Netherlands where sun light seems to be a rarity in this time of the year), so can’t test the potential of the PQ screen yet.
12. I uploaded a video of side loaded Angry Birds game play Angry Birds on Notion Ink Adam 13. Initially there was no sound in Angry Birds but a reboot helped to get sound as well. 14. Video playback with a mp4 worked fine. 15. USB drive with 640GB was not recognized. Need to see the file format of the drive. Could have been NTFS so that might explain. 16. If anyone has the latest appbrain apk, can you please pass on? I cna try appbrain as well then. 17. Till now major bugs/force closes I have seen are with: a. Panel interface (Home screen package) b. Browser Both seem to be NI developed. All android core components seem to be working fine.
Will try Dolphin and Opera on it and post back results.
UPDATE: 1. Tried Dolphin browser - Except the installer screen rest of them worked fine. Installer screen was for some reason did not work in landscape mode. 2. Opera 10 - Works ok. But web pages seem like blown-up pages from mobile. Dolphin and the default are better in this area. 3. External SDHC with a USB card reader (8GB) worked great. Was able to play movies as well from this storage with no lag. 4. Tried NFS but didn't seem to render all the graphics so the game was not playable. 5. AppBrain apk I got was redirecting all install actions to market for some reason hence did not work fine. 6. After a few reboots, the force close windows seem to be lesser in frequency. Very rarely I saw a force close in the past few hours.
Mail from NI about the update:
Greetings form the Notion Ink Support Team !!
The Update has been removed from our systems for now we would be informing you once the new update is out.
Thank you for your continued support to Notion Ink!
UPDATE2: 1. Exchange sync worked with no problems (I had to use manual setup) 2. html5test reuslts:
a. Default browser - 176 points and no bonus points. b. Dolphin browser HD (v 4.2) - 176 points and no bonus points. c. Opera Mobile 10.1 - 72 points and no bonus points.
I tried the same on the browser on my HTC Desire and the result was same.